Wednesday 2 December 2015

8.The Town



I knew that for the town bit that would be taken over by the forest, I wanted it to look very gothic and industrial looking, much like the architecture found in Victorian era. So I made some moodboards to get an understanding of how the architecture works and some inspiration that would help my designs. I also gathered a lot of images of Steampunk city artwork to inspire me on my pinterest.

The backstory behind the city is that mankind has developed so much that it started hurting nature with pollution and lack of care of it. The pollution started to affect the humans as well, generating health problems and mankind started to look at spirits for their help. When the spirits saw humanity greed they refused, so mankind decided to try to take it by force. However, they did not take into account the spirits powers, and therefore some cities were overtaken by the forests enchanted powers.




In order to come up with interesting designs myself, I researched other people's work and designs that would inspire me. Particularly, I liked the tall looking feel of some of these buildings, as well as the crooked architecture found in Harry Potter's Diagon ally design and the designs in which a building goes from being narrow at the bottom and becomes bigger at the top.



These are the designs I was able to come up with. I concepted most of my stuff in just basic silhouette form because I wanted to get just the general shape of the objects with some detail designs in them and I could make it into 3D quicker.

I have to admit that I got stuck when it came to making the buildings, for I have felt that I have still not found the design that I was looking for and time was running out. I really liked the idea of having tall looking buildings, as it would give out a vastness of the city, however time would not allow it for me to make detailed city streets with a variety of building designs. I ended up on deciding that i would make 2 or 3 different building types and put the into the scene. Also I felt that there was a problem with the size of the objects, as tall buildings would not complement the trees and vegetation I made so far.

There are some detailed sketches of more buildings inside the sketchbook. I drew them in order to understand how the objects would look like in 3D and get more detail into them.



Here are some detailed sketches and explanations on the buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment