Wednesday 2 December 2015

4.Inspiration



My main inspiration for the environment is the game Ori and the Blind Forest. I like the entire enchanted feeling the game has to it and it is something I wanted to be portrayed in my environment.
The game has a lot of glowing effects and vibrant colors that gives off a magical feeling about it.
I also like the music from this game, as I feel like it portrays the mystery and mystic of the world the developers built. Such type of music I would like my environment to have in game and in the video that will be submitted.

Here is a link to the Ori and the Blind Forest Soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkzeOmkOUHM

Another game that influenced me in in terms of design, atmosphere and mood is Child of Light.
Here's a link to the Child of Light Sountrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6KcYN0A5LY


I made another moodboard researching other peoples art that inspired me for my environment. This moodboard was also used as a color pallet. I really liked the stones carved with spirals in it in the top right corner, but my idea would be to have it carved with runes and glowing a vibrant color, maybe green or blue. In therms of what time of the day to choose, I might decide to choose nighttime or dusk, as I think that time of the day will make the environment more vibrant and will contrast the glowing of the spirit lights in the forest.

A 2D cartoon show called Gravity Falls made me want to make such an environment. I was very fascinated by the backgrounds in the animation. They evoked a very magical and inviting feeling to it that determined me to want to make a world of my own with my own style implemented into it.                                    














These are some of the backgrounds in the show i really like the color pallet and the atmosphere the forest gives off. I especially like the background at sunset at the top and the second one at dusk as well. I decided that I will set the environment at sundown to give it atmosphere.









As for the city part, I originally wanted to make the city very Victorian Gothic and industrialized with a lot of dirt and pollution around it. Something like the architecture found in the game Bloodborne, but without the dark gory atmosphere the game has:

So a very detailed and big city with a lot of pollution from factories everywhere and generally very dirty.

In the end I decided to make a more steampunk environment, for the time would not allow me to make the city to great detail that I want and I would not be happy with that. Steampunk would work well for the design aspects of the city, because it portrays industrialization and the genre itself is inspired by Victorian time.

My entire research can be found on my Pinterest board, that consists of all my research and everything that inspired me for my design part of the project. There are also some painting tutorials in there that I think would help me in painting my textures:

https://ro.pinterest.com/chrissuchrissuc/spirits-production-diary-for-final-year-project/

My idea for blending these two environments is to contrast each other in terms of colors. While the forest would be bright and colorful, the city would be very dirty with saturated dark colors. The forest is supposed to give off a very welcoming, bright, happy and mystical vibe, while the town would portray destruction and the general sadness that human kind has fallen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment